Min slægtsside for Møllnitz familien.

Side for Møllnitz/Mølnitz stamtræet.

Christian (Chris) DANKLEFSEN[1, 2, 3]

Mand 1884 - 1971  (86 år)

Personlige oplysninger    |    Kilder    |    Alle    |    PDF

  • Navn Christian (Chris) DANKLEFSEN 
    Født 22 aug. 1884  Niebuell Germany Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted 
    Døbt Niebüll, Germany Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted 
    Køn Mand 
    Folketælling 20 apr. 1910  Clark, Clark, South Dakota Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted 
    • DANKLEFSEN, Christ, head, age 25, married 1 year, immagrated in 1887, naturalized, laborer, born in Germany, father born in Germany, mother born in Germany.|-----|Note from Researcher J Schwab, Christ came to US in 1890.
    Folketælling 1920  Cohagen (Garfield Co) Montana Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted 
    • DANKLEFSEN, Christ, head, age 34, farmer, born in Germany, father born in Germany, mother born in Germany.
    Beskæftigelse Rancher, Oil Field Worker 
    Død 7 aug. 1971  Denver, Arapahoe, Colorado Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted 
    Begravet Crown Hill Cemetery, Denver Co Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted 
    • NOTE: Research on this family done by Earl Danklefsen, Bellevue Ohio
      SS Death Index: US 1937-1995
      Birth date: Aug 22, 1884
      Iss: CO Residence Code: CO
      Death date: Aug 1971
      SS#: 524-03-8855
      Zip code of last know residence: 80214 ( (Lakewood CO) js)

      Christian (Christ) DANKLEFSEN Notes
      Contributed by Bernice Danklefsen Ray 1977
      I have made many attempts on the beginning of this. I have often thought about writing a history of at least just jotting down the main events. Several have asked that I write about our family. After getting the contribution of "Wiley Family and Hardships" by Aunt Edna written in 1956, it gave me the incentive to at least start.
      The only early events that we know about our Mother is told in the Wiley History. We can't thank her personally because she was killed in a car accident in 1971. Mother was born April 8, 1886, the second child of Ernest Darling Wiley and wife , Mary Mcguone. The Wileys lived on a farm in Clark Co. S. D. Their post office was Elrod.
      Their were eight children in the family plus three who died infancy. Listed according to age they were: Lucinda (Lucy) married to Jack Reed, They had eighteen children. Mother (Grace) married to Chris Danklefsen, seven children. Next, W.L. (Bill) wife Agnes had four. Fourth was Edna, married Dewitt Cochrane, five boys. Celia never married, she was a nurse, she died during the flu epidemic in 1919. Lincoln (Link) Was married twice, a daughter by the first wife and a boy and a girl by the second wife, Ruby. Next was Elizabeth, married to Wheeler. They never had any children but they raised one of Aunt Lucy s girls who had polio. Mildred, the youngest, married Bill Meyers. Aunt Mildred is the only one still living. She is eighty and resides in El Cerrito, Cal.
      We thank Uncle Mike for much of the data on dad's side. Uncle Mike is 94 years old, Aunt Lizzie is 90. Both are in fairly good health. They live in Jordan, Mont.
      The "Christian" pronounced, Christ John, Danklefsen family came from Schleswig-Holstein, Freisland, Germany. This was an area that passed back and forth between Denmark and Germany. Grandma's name was Johanna, the J pronounced like a Y. Grandpa had served time in the Austro Prussian Danish War in 1864. He didn't want his sons to do this so after saving enough for boat fare they came to the United States. They came in 1890. Grandma was ill all the way over. She passed away two years later. They arrived in New York with just thirty-five dollars and seven hungry children. They settled near Briceton, Ohio. The farm was forty acres of boggy timber land that needed to be cleared before it could be farmed. There were seven children: John, Dora, Maggie, Sank, Mommie (Mike) and Dad Chris and Johnnie. Dad and Johnny were twins.
      None of the children had much schooling as the boys had to help with the work and the girls had to take care of the children and keep house after their Mother died. Dad (Chris) was born Aug. 22, 1884.
      Dad told of an accident he had when real young, a horse kicked him in in the face. He carried a scar on his forehead, nose and cheek all his life. He had typhoid fever when he was eighteen years old. The Doctor said it would be a miracle if he pulled through. He had to learn to walk again and all his hair came out.
      It was soon after this that he left home to go west. I don't remember hearing how he traveled or how long it took but he arrived in Elrod, S. Dak. This is where he met Mother. They were married Aug. 29th, 1908, by Rev. W.E. Hartung in the Methodist Parsonage in Clark, SD.
      Dad worked in the elevator in Elrod, S. D. This wasn't too far from Grandpa Wiley's farm. On March 15, 1909 their first son was born. Since Grandma Wiley was known as "Urse Mary" I imagine she helped with the first three of their childre n as all were born at Grandma's house. I was born Feb.8, 1911. By this time Uncle Mike had come west. He met Eliza Lund in Oaks ND. They were married 1910. From the folks in Ohio he found out where Dad was. He wrote and asked him if he would like to move farther west into Montana. There were homesteads available there. They first went to Townsend and worked in the fields that were under irrigation. The mosquito's were so large and hungry they didn t stay there long, I believe Uncle Mike (Mommie) left first. He found a homestesd about sixty miles northwest of Miles City.
      During the late summer Mother, Fay and I, also Aunt Lizzie came to Montana. This was 1911. Many times the following tale was told:
      On the way on the train at one stop Mother got off to get some milk for me. She had to go a few blocks and the train went on without her. Aunt Lizzie was left with Fay who was two years old and a six month old baby. I imagine I was hungry and crying. They contacted the station where Mother was and told her we would wait for her at the next station. As I write this I wonder how long it took them to get back together. We went on to Townsend to be with Dad but Aunt Lizzie stopped in Mil es City. Uncle Mike after getting the homestead went to Miles City and found work on the Milwaukee R.R. They spent the winter there and it was Nov. 26, their first child, Edna, was born. The next spring Uncle Mike built his sod shack on his land . We came to their place in the spring and settled on the homestead a mile east of them. We lived in a sod shack also. There were no trees in the area, no place to buy lumber closer than Miles City which was 60 miles away. They used the only material available, and that was sod. They would plow a strip of ground, cut the newly turned sod into about two foot lengths. Those they would lay up the walls like they do concrete blocks today. The walls were about a foot thick. These shacks were co ol in the summer and warm in the winter. Our new home was 10 by 14 . For the roof they found enough boards to cover the top. On this they put a cover of tar paper then a layer of sod with the grass side up. In the spring when the grass grew we had a beautiful green roof.
      Some early pioneers lived in dugouts. These were dug back into a bank. It was necessary that they left enough room from the creek bed in case the water came up in the spring or after a big rain. The dugouts usually had dirt floors but afte r scrubbing them a few times they would get white and shine like they were waxed. Mother was expecting again in 1913. With Fay and I she returned to her folks in S. D. Gladys was born July 31, 1913. For these babies born in our neighborhood from 1915, Aunt Lizzie was the main midwife. She had some nurses training. She also helped with neighbors who became ill.
      Drinking water was scarce for some of the pioneers. I think Uncle Mike had the first hand dug well. We hauled our water from Uncle's well for about four years. We had a large wooden barrel that was loaded on a stone boat that could be pulle d by one or two horses. A stone boat was made by two poles used as runners. They were braced to hold them in line and covered with boards. In the winter this made a good sled. In the summer time, where we could, we would drive the horse on the grass covered ground. the odor of this crushed and slightly burned grass effect is some thing that one never forgets. Another problem in this area was obtaining fuel. Corn cobs were used to start the fire, cow chips were gathered for a quick fire. Some areas had sage brush and that was an other odor you don't forget. There was an open coal mine about two miles north of Uncle Mikes. To get this in operation all the men gathered with their teams and scrapers and cleared away a few feet of soil to uncover the coal. This was soft grade of coal but was a Godsend to the Neighborhood. That was always a fall chore to haul coal to last through the winter.
      Roy was born Mar. 27, 1915. He was the only one born in sod shack. That was as far back as I can remember. It was real exciting to have a little baby in the family. This was the same year Aunt Lizzie's brother Harry Lund with his wife Mary and daughter Henrietta, settled on the homestead north of us. Later they had four more children Leona, Joe, Helen and Darlean. They came from Oakes, N. D.
      By this time the homesteaders were putting down quite firm roots. They had a few horses, cows, pigs and chickens. They did their own butchering so had plenty of meat. Some time they could have rabbit, also. Since they had their own meat, milk cream, eggs, lard, sausage, bacon, plus all the produce from the garden, about all, they had to buy was sugar, salt, soda, baking powder and tobacco. At Jordan they had a flour mill they would take enough wheat and have it ground into flour. The women made their own soap. Quilts were made from the best parts of worn out clothing. Most all the clothes were hand-made. Every household had a sewing machine. Many garments had patches, they were used to cover holes and not just for decoration like they are today.
      Water was used sparingly. All used for washing was heated on the range. Dish water sometimes used to scrub the floor. All used water would be emptied on the garden. Bath time was Saturday night and just one partly filled wash tub was used to bathe all the kids. They usually started out with the youngest first. That was one draw back by being the oldest.
      Dad built a rock house in 1916. It was a half mile east of the sod-shack. It was twice the size of the soddy so it seemed like a mansion. The rocks were of sandstone and were gathered from the hills around the Country side. They were in layer's already about three to four inches thick. They were soft enough so as to be shaped so walls were nice and even. These were laid like block houses of today. After the walls were up they we covered with a thin coat of cement. the walls were a foot thick, so they were warm in winter and cool in the summer.
      A few years after the house was built we had a bad wind storm, it was accompanied by hail as large as baseballs and rain. The whole north half of the roof blew off. Aunt Lizzie and Edna and Earl were to our house for supper. We all stood against the north door to hold it shut and for what protection it gave us. Aunt Lizzie prayed for our Safety. This was the first time I heard any one Pray like that. We always said our prayers at night but this seemed different. Dad and Uncle Mike had left that day with a load of wheat. The storm overtook them about five miles from home. They saw it coming so they unhitched the horses an d turned them loose. The men crawled under the wagon to get away from the hail, then they had to lay upon the reaches ( Reach: a pole joining the forward part of the wagon to the rear Axle) to stay out of the water. After the storm they walked bac k home. That s when they saw the predicament we were in. All the men from the neighborhood gathered to get the roof back on. This was the usual custom when one was in trouble, every one for miles around turned out to help. One summer Uncle Mike ha d T.B. He slept out in a tent all summer and couldn't do any work. All the men gathered to put in his crop. This help was always gladly given for anyone who needed it.
      The first school in the neighbor hood was started in 1916. There were only four children, six years and older. They needed five pupils to hold the school, so I made the sixth. Rose Todd Grant was the first teacher. She lived at the school house. I would sit on her lap to recite my lessons and after lunch she would put me on her bed and I would take a nap.
      In 1917 the Charles Wilson Family homesteaded on the section a mile north of Uncle Mikes. They came from Missouri. There were four children then, Forest, Thelma, Robert and Charles (Shorty). Later Hazel, Johnny.
      The social life of the early community consisted of getting together with some of the neighbors for Sunday dinner. When a traveling minister came on Sunday, everyone attended church. Uncle Mike had a strong tenor voice and a neighbor bachelor, Nick Knudsen, had a base voice. They made good song leaders. The favorite was "Just As I Am".
      Saturday night dances or box socials were held in the neighborhood School Houses. Mr. Wax played the fiddle, Uncle Mike and Harry Lund played the mouth organ and both Dad and Uncle Mike called the square dances. The trips to these sociables would be three or four miles away. In good weather they would go by spring wagons and in the winter time by bob sled. When weather was real cold they would heat rocks in the oven all day. They would fill the sled box with clean straw, put the hot rocks down the middle, line the kids on each side with their feet on the rocks. They were covered with wool quilts. The women would usually sit with the kids. The men would ride part of the way but when they got cold they would walk. By the early, or middle twenties some were getting Model T's. They could go farther and more often. A favorite place was Pluhars barn.
      One of the coldest winter on record was in 1919. The snow came in October and lasted until May. Many of the ranchers lost their livestock because they didn't have enough hay for such a long winter.
      Sister Mildred was born Dec. 9, 1919. I am sure Aunt Lizzie was -the Mid-wife. I believe there was a Doctor in Jordan at the time but that was twenty miles away. If anyone had to go to the hospital, the nearest one was sixty miles in Miles City. Cohagen was our post-office address. The town consisted of a General Store, a school, dormitory and the post office building. A few years later several little shacks were built by people so they could live there during the winter to send the children to grade and high school.
      The first tragedy in our family happened on Aug. 22, 1921. On Dads birthday. Fay was to take some horses north of the place. He was riding the gray saddle horse, "Pet". I opened the gate for him when he left with the horses. He had gone about a half a mile when Pet either stepped in a hole or just stumbled, when the dust cleared she was up and running with Fay dangling in the stirrup. We saw this happen but it was too far away to do anything. He fell loose after a short ways. Dad went to get him. I will always remember him bringing him over his shoulder. He was twelve years old. The Doctor said he was killed instantly. Mother was almost nine months pregnant when this happened. Up until this time those who passed away were buried on the homesteads. A family, Albert Holton's, gave a plot of their land for a community cemetery. Fay was the first one buried there.
      Brother Ray was born Sept. 9, 1921. Aunt Lizzie was there to help. One has to marvel at those early pioneers went through. This must have been hard for the folks. The only time I can remember Mom shedding tears was when she would give Ray his morning bath. It was consoling probably to know she had a baby boy to take the place of the one she didn t have anymore.
      We had our first long trip in Sept, 1923. We went to Elrod, S.D. Dad was the neighborhood mechanic. He always fixed the neighbors cars. Before we got to Miles City we had a flat tire. Everybody fixed his own then. The first night we stayed at Mildred, Mont.
      We slept in our tent. The lantern was our only light. They never told anybody they were coming. Grandma was so shocked she cried. Grandpa entertained us by jigging. We came back the first part of Oct. There were two incidences on the way. First we got lost and wound up in the Indian Reservation. We kids were scared to death, we had heard of Indians but had never seen any. There weren't many road signs then but there weren't many roads either. It was always easy for Dad to get lost . If he were out after dark Mother always put a light in the window. The other incident: the car caught fire under Mother's feet. Dad threw dirt on the fire to put it out. When he was under pressure he would really chew his pipe stem. He was under pressure for sure, that far away home with a large family, and losing a hard-earned car. It was geting chilly this time of the year, we had no side curtains so Dad put the tent over the top of the car, tied down the sides, when the wind got underneath it bellowed out like a covered wagon. When we met or passed anyone they gave us a wide berth. A neighbor, Theadore Schmidt, took care of our place while we were gone.
      Ella Marie, so many called her Tootie, was born Oct. 12, 1924. Her entrance into the world is a story by itself. Dad, with Ivory Brackett, had gone to Chicago with a load of cattle. They went by freight train and rode right with the cattle . The night of the eleventh Mom woke Gladys, Roy and me and had us dress, take the lantern and go for Aunt Lizzie. I'll never forget that mile walk practically in the dark. The lantern didn't give that much light. Whether we walked abreast or single file somebody didn't have much light. Mother assured us we had mothing to fear. We woke Uncle Mike and gave him our message. Aunt Lizzie wasn't home, she was over to Bluhms helping care for Mrs. Bluhm. Uncle Mike didn't have a saddle horse near, he told us to go to bed and he would walk up to Lunds and got Mary. When he got there he was getting tired so told Mary to walk on ahead and he get there as fast as he could. By the time Mary got there Tootie was already born.
      Our next tragedy was Mother's passing away June 28, 1925. She hadn't felt well for some time, as she started having more pain, Dad went to get Mr. Brackett to take them to the hospital in Miles City. She died from blood poison as a result of a tubular pregnancy. This was a terrible time for dad. Six kids and no Mother. The range in ages was fourteen years to Tootie who was eight and one half months. Gladys and I did the house work and cared for the kids all summer. When school started in the fall Dad insisted that I go to school. I tried riding horse-back the seven miles to Cohagen. After the first week Dad said that wouldn't work. Besides I couldn't do that in the winter time. He hired an eighty-year old lady to take care of the smaller children. This lady hadn't been around children so she worked only one month. Help was hard to find but he finally found a young woman. She had done nothing but herd sheep and didn t know the first thing about caring for kids, cooking or keeping house. I had to stay at the dormitory during the week. On the week ends Gladys and I would do the weeks wash and cleaning. About the only benefit of Viola's stay was that there was a adult to be with the children.
      Money was scarce and everybody had all they could do was take care of their family. Mother's last words were, "What will happen to the children?" The Lord must have heard and answered her prayer as we were all taken care of. The first winter Uncle Mike and Aunt Lizzie took Ray and Tootie to live with them. They had two children, Edna and Earl. Gladys, Roy and Mildred went to school a half-mile away. The Lund children and the Wilson's went to this school also.
      Glen and Minnie Lynch moved to our place and took care of Roy and Mildred. Gladys was about ready for high school. We roomed together at the Dorm.
      Dad quit the farm and went to the Oilfields in Casper, Wyo. He found work in the hospital as a clean-up man and also drove the ambulance. It was here that he met and married Kate Melton. On their first trip to Cohagen, Gladys went back with them. They moved to Denver where Gladys graduated from High School. Kate turned out to be one of those "not so nice" Stepmothers. She and dad divorced in 1934.
      The next death that was near to us was Earl's (Mommies son) Passing in 1928. He was ill for some time with a kidney ailment which turned into Bright's Disease. Ray was seven years old at the time, he was doing a man's work at this early age.
      In the spring of 1929 Tootie had a bad case of Scarlet Fever. Uncle Mike and Aunt Lizzie had been up day and night with her for a week. Gladys and I dropped out of school for a month to help take care of her.
      A spring snow storm hit the area at this time. The Doctor was caring for so many people with the flu. Uncle Mike made a trip to Jordan to get him. The only way to make the trip was by bobsled. They didn't get home until until after midnight . The Dr. gave Tootie an injection of serum. She was conscious the next day, the first time in many days. She had had a very high temperature. She made a steady recovery but her hair came out and she lost the hearing in one ear. The Dr. gave Ray and Gladys serum also, they had only a light case. They both said it was bad enough.
      Before this I returned to school and was a Senior and couldn't miss more school and still graduate.
      For a graduation gift all of Mother's people in S.D. sent me enough money for train fare so I could spend the summer with them. This was my first train ride.
      After Roy graduated from High School the Lynch's with Roy and Mildred returned to Menomonie Wis., their former home. Mildred graduated from the High School there.
      I must go back a few years to fill in on Dad's life. A few years after his divorce with Kate, he married Libby Ball of Denver. Libby had three small clildren: Marg, Rene and George. When Dad and Libby married they didn t have much material things. Dad got a job with a lumber company and also did odd jobs. Libby took in sewing and did many things to help get ahead. She was a good manager and they gradually owned a nice home. They made many trips to Montana, Wash. State, Minn. and Ohio . In there later travels they went by train and bus. We all loved having them come and see us.
      Dad was troubled for many years with gout and arthritis. He started failing after he broke his hip. Libby cared for him as long as she could at home. He was a large man and she was a small little lady. In time he had to enter a rest home. Libby broke her hip but made better recovery than he did. It was only after her memory became bad that she entered this same rest home.
      Libby passed away April 23, 1971, age 86. Dad passed away the same year Aug. 7, age 87. They are buried in the Crown Hill emetery, Denver, Colorado.
      As I remember our Mother, she was about five feet four inches tall. She had black slightly curly hair, fair complexion. She was on the quiet side. She was very kind and soft spoken. Her weight was in the lower 120's. Every one loved her. Dad was, in his later years, on the heavy side.
      He originally had black hair. He liked to talk and I'm sure was happiest when he stood in the middle of the floor and had some one to listen to what he was saying. He made friends easily, he was a handy man and would willingly take on any kind of work. In our childhood days I remember Mother doing her mending by lamp light in the evening. Dad always had time to play checkers or pitch horse shoes with the older kids.
      Ray, Ella (Tootie) and Edna graduated from the Cohagen High School. Edna was the main planner behind the only graduates reunion. This took place in the Old Gym. in 1972. She became ill that spring and her ailment was terminal cancer. She so wanted to live to take part but she passed away June 17, 1972. The Class Book was dedicated to her.
      I am hoping all the brothers and sisters will write about their happenings from as far back as they wish and up to the present time. If they will have copies made for every one of us, the past should be brought up to date.
      This has been written as I remember. I realize there will be differences of opinion so I hope all will tell their past as they remember. By the time I make the "Family Trees" I will know for sure it has been a big undertaking. I really have enjoyed every bit of this. Please excuse all the errors. I have retyped several pages and it is still so far from perfect.
      It would take more time than I can spare to have it like it should be.
      In closing, Love to all.
      Bernice Danklefsen Ray
    Person-ID I318  Møllnitz familien træ
    Sidst ændret 25 jun. 2014 

    Far Christian (Christ) DANKLEFSEN,   f. 3 feb. 1845, Nord-Lindholm, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted,   d. 28 jan. 1921, Curtice, Ohio (At Dtr Home - Dora) Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted  (Alder 75 år) 
    Mor Johanna HANSEN,   f. 11 maj 1843, Germany Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted,   d. 11 feb. 1893, South Briceton Paulding Co., Ohio Find alle personer med begivenheder på dette sted  (Alder 49 år) 
    Familie-ID F101  Gruppeskema  |  Familie Tavle

  • Kilder 
    1. [S13] Carr Web Site, Margaret Carr, Christian (Chris) Danklefsen (Pålidelighed: 3), 4 mar. 2011.
      Tilføjet ved at bekræfte en Smart Match

    2. [S3] Hay Web Site, Leslie Gerard Hay, Christian Danklefsen (Pålidelighed: 3), 20 mar. 2011.
      Tilføjet ved at bekræfte en Smart Match

    3. [S12] Schwab Web Site, J Schwab, Christian "Chris" Danklefsen (Pålidelighed: 3), 20 mar. 2011.
      Tilføjet ved at bekræfte en Smart Match